Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finding witches and wizards

Next week I stroll back to the University. I have been away from lecture rooms for six (6) months, and I must say whereas I miss the students, I do not at all miss the human support side of the Institution.

Sometimes, I dream of a University of Zambia empty of administrators. That surely will be a place to work in. It is tragic that public administrative structures in our poor nations often end up being the demotivational circumstances to one's otherwise enjoyable pursuits.

I love interacting with students. I love learning from students, as I am not the guardian of all knowledge. I am just a slightly brighter candle in a sea of beautiful candles. And I have always hoped many of my academic colleagues will accept this simple reality, as a means of making University education a journey beyond theories.

Just thinking of how the University of Zambia is managed, at Department, School, or whatever other level always sends a shiver through my body. Camaraderie is as alien as efficacy, efficiency and being relevant to obtaining future circustances. Finding witches and wizards, is the game that is always played. A pity. I wonder if I will be the found witch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment