Sunday, September 1, 2013

A meaningless phrase?

Today, a phrase I have heard and still hear often has been frustrating my start to what was supposed to be a good day. I really can not still get to grasp the meaning of the phrase, "I will support the government of the day". This is a phrase most used by chiefs and opposition politicians of all miscellanea. Chiefs like Nkomenshya, Mpezeni use it quite often. 

Exactly, why would anyone who is not a public official use this phrase? I thought as ordinary citizens we always "support the government of the day" by religiously paying our statutory dues like taxes. Don't we also "support the government of the day" when we do not break the laws, unjust or just?

And don't chiefs implicitly "support the government of the day" by maintaining order in their serfdoms? 

Or is it only valid when one realises that they are standing on quick sand, and hence the need to holler out - "I support the government of the day"?

Perhaps, tomorrow I should tell ZRA I will no longer meet my PAYE tax dues, and instead call a press conference to say, "I support the government of the day"! 

Well, just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I often use the phrase Mbinji, after reading your post I don't really know why. Originally, I would have liked it to mean I would do the best in my private capacity to make Zambia a better place, to make Zambia easier to govern. I think some people go out of their way to make it hard to govern this beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete